It's been a long wait.....
College football is finally back! I know all of you are fired up to see the Trojans take the field against Hawaii. Click here for a great highlight video. This should be a great season and if the Trojans stay healthy and get some breaks, it could be a historic season.....one for the ages. I think every game this year will be a sell-out (both home and away) as people will come far and wide to see this Trojan offense. Leinart, Bush, White, Smith, Jarrett, Byrd, McFoy, Turner, Hancock, Reed, Davis....the skill positions are just stacked. More importantly, this may be the best Trojan offensive line in 20 years. I may be in the minority, but I think Kiffin and Sarkisian will not miss a beat.....it is going to be very exciting when the Trojans have the ball.
On defense, the Trojans have some major holes to fill as Patterson, Cody, Taputu, Grootegood and Leach are all in the NFL. Patterson and Cody will be impossible to replace.....they were that good. However, Sedrick Ellis and Lajuan Ramsey had a great camp and are playing with confidence. USC is stacked at defensive end with Lojack and Frostee as returning starters with Chris Barrett (finally healthy), Schweiger (out 3-5 weeks with broken foot) and true frosh Kyle Moore backing them up. At LB, Sartz returns and Keith Rivers (wearing the special #55) takes over a starting role. Oscar Lua, who has battled back from two torn ACL's, has secured the starting MLB spot. I feel pretty good about the linebackers....very athletic group, but I do worry that we will miss the experience of Taputu in the middle. The secondary is very solid and USC may have the most intimidating pair of safeties in the country with Scott Ware and Darnell Bing. These guys are big, fast and can tackle. I think overall the defense will be down from 2003 and 2004, but will still be formidable.
We are looking forward to another great year of tailgaiting at the Coliseum. The formula seems to be working, but if anyone has any suggestions please let the Hoovers or Flynns know. We hope to keep our same location (about 10 cars in from the corner of Leighton & Menlo) in the grass lot. We will have food (new grill this year!), DirecTV and some adult beverages (the keg seemed to work well last year). The tailgate will be traveling to South Bend (and hopefully at least one other away game). Dust of your pom-poms, take that USC hat out of the closet.....the season is finally here. We look forward to seeing everyone at the Arkansas game on 9/17. 7:15 game. Tailgate will be set up by 12:30.
For those of you making it to Hawaii (nice job Dan Cherrie!), you have an early leg up on the competition for the All Tailgate Team (please see previous blog post for last year's team(
Notes & Tidbits
- Kirk Herbstreit named USC one of the 5 best locations for EPSN College Football GameDay...thanks in part to the efforts of the tailgate! Here is the list Expect to see ESPN back on campus this year
- Fred Davis will make some plays this year at tight end....at his size and speed, he is an impossible match up for a linebacker
- True frosh Patrick Turner will be a contributor this year....look for big #1 to make some plays
- UCLA may struggle with San Diego St. The Aztecs have an experienced offensive line and a great RB in Lynell Hamilton. With Kevin Brown out 6-8 weeks, the UCLA DL is a weakness. I think the Bruins win, but it may not be comfortable for UCLA fans
- Arizona and Washington will be improved.....4-6 wins for each of them this year
That's it for now....expect another blog the week of 9/17.